Pregnancy is an incredible journey, a rollercoaster of emotions, and it’s amazing how those 9 months, which might seem long at first, pass in the blink of an eye. I should know—I’ve been on this wonderful adventure with pregnant women and new moms for over a decade now, and one thing they all tell me during their newborn sessions is, “I miss my bump” or “I wish I had more photos of my baby belly” or again “I wish I kept a pregnancy journal”.
So, guess what? I’m here to help you!
In this blog post, I want to walk you through why keeping a pregnancy journal is a good idea and, most importantly, I have a special little gift for you! You can download your FREE Pregnancy Journal at the bottom of this page, so you have no excuses to start journaling.
One of the most beautiful ways to capture the magic of this period is by keeping a pregnancy journal.
A pregnancy journal is more than just a collection of words on paper; it’s a testament to the incredible journey you’re embarking on. It’s like capturing your heart’s whispers, preserving every precious moment, thought, and feeling during this incredible time. Putting pen to paper can transport you back to those moments filled with joy and anticipation. Plus, it’s a beautiful way to connect with your baby, both now and as they grow. You can even share these heartfelt reflections with your child when they’re older, sharing the incredible journey you both embarked on together.
Here are some great ideas for what you can pen down in your pregnancy journal:
- Thoughts and Feelings: Pour your heart into your journal by expressing your thoughts, feelings, and emotions throughout your pregnancy. Share those initial reactions when you discovered you were expecting, your fears, your dreams, and your hopes for your baby.
- Body Changes: Reflect on how your body is changing, how you’re adapting, and your feelings about these transformations. It’s an opportunity to celebrate the beautiful journey of motherhood.
- Milestones: Chronicle the significant milestones that mark your pregnancy journey, such as the first time you felt the gentle flutter of your baby’s movements, the moving moment when you heard his heartbeat, and the wonder of seeing him in that first ultrasound.
- Food Cravings: Pregnancy often brings about curious and sometimes amusing food cravings. Jot them down, and when you look back, you’ll surely smile at these delightful quirks.
- Baby Names: Create a list of potential baby names along with their meanings. Document the unique story behind how you choose the perfect name for your little one.
Related posts: Beyond the Snacks: What Pregnancy Cravings Reveal
Your pregnancy journal can be more than just words on paper. Consider these ideas and make your journal even more special.
- Ultrasound Photos: Safeguard copies of your ultrasound photos within the pages of your journal. Fun fact: ultrasounds can fade over time, so take a quick snapshot with your phone and print it for your journal. In the journal I created, I dedicated a page for the 12-week scan and a page for the 20-week scan. The beauty of a journal that you can print out yourself is that you can add more pages for more scans or other things you want to add.
- Belly Photos: Capture the miraculous transformation of your growing belly by taking photos at various stages of your pregnancy. I created a template for a weekly snap or a monthly one. Choose the one you prefer and set a 5-minute appointment with yourself to take it. I would suggest taking it in the same place and position. And of course, book a maternity photoshoot and include those professional maternity portraits too!
- Letters to Your Baby: Write heartfelt letters to your baby throughout your pregnancy and tuck them lovingly into your journal. These letters will become a cherished gift when your child grows older.
How can you remember your pregnancy?
Alongside journaling, consider treating yourself with a maternity photoshoot. This session is truly an incredible experience. Not only it will document the evolution of your baby bump but it will capture the relationship with your partner and show you how beautiful you are, giving you more confidence and self-belief.
Related article: Are Maternity Photos Worth it?
Maternity photoshoots offer also a wonderful opportunity to share your pregnancy joy with friends and family. These photos can be sent as announcements or serve as timeless reminders of this extraordinary chapter in your life.
One of the best things though, is transforming those captured moments into artwork, ready to decorate the walls of your home. Displaying these artistic pieces not only showcases them as they deserve but also creates a lasting legacy for generations to come.
Don’t leave these precious memories stuck on your phone or computer. Put your photos up on your walls, where you can see them every day. They’ll remind you of your strength and beauty during your pregnancy journey. Let a professional maternity photographer take care of the details like lighting, what you wear, and how you pose, so you’ll look and feel amazing!
Are you ready to start your pregnancy journal?
Keeping a pregnancy journal is a lovely way to remember your pregnancy journey, making special memories for you and your precious baby. As a newborn photographer, I truly value these memories and I created for you a printable pregnancy journal.
Click the button below to download it and print it. Remember to set aside some time during the week to write down your journey. It could be your me time with a nice cup of tea while sitting on the sofa.